Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Random Thoughts and Ramblings

I have a new-found love and its name is "Twin Peaks". Either this show is that good or I am just desparate for some boob tube. Sure this show was back in the early 90's, but come on, it's David Lynch...the man...the genious. My language teacher had the only 2 seasons on her computer and I copied them over to mine and now I'm hooked. I think my host family is worried about me because I won't play cards with them or watch corny Russian music videos with them anymore; instead I just watch this show on my laptop locked away in my room. I also watched "Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny" and "Napoleon Dynamite" this week...both are hilarious in my own diluted world. My host mom asked if I was suffereing from depression yesterday. It's funny because the Peace Corps tells them that we will go through days of depression and that is always the first thing they think of. The truth is, I just need time alone from screaming kids and people eating the food I buy. They are great people, but I am soooo ready to move out in a couple of weeks and am counting the minutes.
Due to some inspiring events, I am plaaning on starting my next screenplay in the very near future. I wanted to do a lot of writing out here in my spare time and now that training is winding up, I am starting my treatment. Ideally, I'd also like to tackle the novel after that is done. I also got some leads on some very interesting jobs for returned Peace Corps volunteers. Things are looking up and I am starting to look at things (i.e. my future) in a very different light.
We tentatively set a date for the Egypt trip. I am trying to arrange it around my birthday in October so I can ring in the big double 3's on top of a pyramid in the middle of African nowhere.
We are still planning a fun weekend coming up in a couple days. This Friday we are going to a huge soccer game at the stadium and Sunday we are going to that music festival in Kyiv. I'm sure there will be pictures coming.
We are learning the topic of shopping right now in language class which includes things in department stores and hundreds of clothing items and how to talk to sales clerks. Seeing how I have dropped 3 sizes and my pants sag down on my knees like Lil Bow Wow, this topic may come in handy faster than expected. I can now get some tight European pants and start living the dream officially now. Tomorrow we have the second session of Ukrainian entrepreneurship and economy class. Our project is also rolling along. I finished my portion of the manual and passed it to Greg to get translated. Brian and I handed out invitations today and now we just need to practice our portions. The big day is one week from today....crazy!
I've gotten a ton of support and advice from all of my friends and family and through it all, I keep referring to that one scrawny guy whose name I will never remember's advice: "The Peace Corps...it's not for everyone, just the sexy people" ;)

Thanks for being so good to me, Shawna!

and

Happy 47th Anniversary Mom & Dad!!! The big 5-0 is just around the corner!

No comments: