Sunday, June 3, 2007

The Weekend

It's been a busy few days. Friday our language class played Russian Taboo. We had to choose Russian words and then choose 3 other Russian words that you can't use to describe it. Your team then has 1 minute to guess the word; it was fun and a great exercise. We also had a debriefing with our training manager and had to watch an hour long movie on AIDS. Ukraine is the fastest-spreading country in the world of AIDS...a fun fact I thought I would share with you. The film was narrated by will Smith. One had not lived until they listen to the Fresh Prince preach about HIV. After class, I went home and dropped my stuff off, threw on my Ukrainian soccer jersey and we headed to the stadium. We got our tickets, went to the beer tent for some pre-party cold ones and then went in. The game was fun although we sat in a section run by neo nazi skinheads. They were fighting with the militia, doing the Hitler salute and were pretty damn crazy. After the game (which ended in a flippin' tie), we went to the beer tent and hung out until about 10pm. I walked home and my host dad and I ran to the market for more alcohol. He left for Crimea for 10 days Saturday morning and he wanted to drink vodka wiht me before he left. We drank and watched Pirates of the Carribean 3 with really bad English subtitles and I finally got to bed around 3am. Saturday my head was hurting as I now realize just how much I don't really care for vodka straight up. Give me a foo foo screwdriver or white russian. I slept in and then blew off Olga who I was supposed to go to the beach with. Instead I went to the bazaar and bought a new shirt. I then met people and we went to Megan's house for a picnic in her family's amazing backyard. Jonathan discovered a guitar store that just opened up and he bought one for $100. I think tomorrow I may break down and buy one as well. It will suck to take it with all my other luggage, but it will suck more to not be able to play for 2 years. Anyway, Brian had his guitar too and there was a little jam session as we chowed down some Ukrainian BBQ which included pork kabobs and stuffed tomatoes with cheese and garlic (possibly the best food I've eaten here). I got home around 9pm and walked in on a party. Marina decided to invite all her girlfriends over since Andrey was gone and by the time I got there they were all drunk and obnoxious. They finally all left for the disco around 10:30 and I fell asleep watching Conan O'Brien.
I woke up today at 5:15am and am now in Kiev at headquarters. We just got back from McDonalds where we ran into 2 girls from Atlanta. Why is it we always see Americans at McDonalds...are we really that shallow? I am catching up on some emails, talking to other volunteers who are in town and we are about to head out to this music festival. Placebo is headlining today. Side note: the Stones are playing here in July!!!
I have a lot of studying to do when I get home and our project is Wednesday. Next time I am at the internet cafe, I will post pictures from the weekend.

No comments: