Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Time To Blog

We got to Prolosok (AKA: Prolosuck) yesterday afternoon. Prolosok is the place we spent our first 3 days in Ukraine just south of Kyiv. We had our site announcement ceremony. How did it go? FRICKIN' AWESOME! ...at least on paper. They answered all my requests. I am going to a city called Kherson (pronounced "Hersone"). It is in Southern Ukraine right on the Black Sea just above Crimea and across the bay from Odessa. The weather is supposed to be perfect there this time of year. It is a port city of about 400,000 people. It is a big agriculture and ship building city. That's about all I know. There are 3 other volunteers going with me: Peter and Marcia who are an older married couple and Leah who is about 23...I think. I'm super excited to head south.
Last night we all started a bonfire on the beach at Prolosok and had a little party. It was awesome to see everyone again, but now we are all going separate ways..at least for a week.
I am currently at the Peace Corps headquarters in Kyiv and we are wasting time until we leave for the train station. We then hop on a 13-hour train ride and we will meet our partner (the person who takes care of us there). I guess my host family is a middle-aged female and her friend. She works at my host organization. My host organization (the place where most of my work is focused and I am stationed) is a childrens' library. I will be developeing their website, starting a film club and an English club as well as finding time to work in H.R. with employment centers and other organizations. Here at the Peace Corps office I tracked down my 2 packages from J.J and Shawna...both were loaded with food, books, games, and tons of other stuff. Perfect timing and I'm eternally grateful to you both!
I'm off to check out my new home now. I have internet at my host organization so I will be able to blog once I'm there most likely, but tons of pictures will follow when I return to Chernihiv.
Mom, HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!! I love you tons!!!!!

No comments: