Friday, April 6, 2007

One Week Down

As for the pictures, I dont know what to do. The files are too large when I try to upload or email them. I even tried on about 3 different computers. I'll keep working on it but if anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Last night Andrey, Marina and I went out for pizza which was the best meal I've had yet. It was nice to have a taste of home. I didnt think I'd miss good food this much. After that, we picked up Nikita from kindergarten. His teacher gave me her phone number so I can call her daughter. Apparently she is learning English and I am to help her with it....awkward. We then went to the university where they work and I tried to upload pictures on the internet to no avail. I saw Andrey's dad there and he made me do a shot of vodka. One thing I noticed here is that all professionals drink and smoke in their office during the day. Even the teachers drink champagne between classes. One of Andrey's co-workers found out I was not married and tried to set me up with her "beautiful" daughter. Another one insisted I was a spy from the FBI.
We finally went home and cleaned the house together. Apparently Ukrainians can't do any physical work over Easter weekend. They take this holiday pretty seriously and I am to attend a church ceremony on Sunday morning. I have been so tired and am looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow. I lucked out in the fact that my host family likes to saty up late and sleep till noon. After we finished cleaning, Andrey and I watched Fight Club in Russian. One hasn't lived until he sees Brad Pitt speak dubbed Russian. I went to bed after finally having an early night.
Today after language class, we had our first medical training session where I got 2 more shots. They also spent about 2 hours on STD's and HIV. We all had to put condoms on rubber penises. It was the most embarrasing, awkward yet hilarious moment of my life; I wish I had my camera.
Got news today the so far 2 people have quit. One couldn't hack it anymore and I'm not sure what the other's story is since he is in a different town. That kinda news brings us all down. We are all feeling uneasy and today was the first day I really missed home and asked myself why I am here. Supposedly this is normal. At any right, I was sorry to see these people have to leave.
For those of you that have been watching CNN, everything is cool in my part of Ukraine. Most of the action is in Kyiv. For those that haven't heard, Ukraine is on the edge of a civil war and there is buzz about evacuation if it gets violent. They are calling for a new election for prime minister and people are divided as to which to side with. Their have been hundreds of thousands of Ukrainians rallying in the streets in the larger cities, but so far it is all peaceful. The news is blowing it up far worse than it is.
Tonight I beleive we are just going to play games and maybe drink some beers. I am beyond tired at this point. The Peace Corps is cramming so much into these 3 months it is insane. Between technical and language homework and reading assignments, socializing with my host family and just living life, I am completely drained.
I wish all of you a Happy Easter and I'll write more next week. This internet cafe rules and I dont k,now if I told you but one of the attendents here speaks English.

4 comments:

J.J. said...

Hey Pauly V, Wrestlemania was off the chain. Jimmy Veins moved down to Salt Lake City yesterday. Anyway, I wanted to know if you had read Mick Foley's new book. If not I would send my copy to you. Just let me know. Also let me know if the address you have posted is still valid.

Laters,
J.J.

Heather said...

download the Microsoft ImageResizer PowerToy from this website: (it is on a list to your right of the page)

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

After it has been downloaded, all you have to do is rightclick the picture and on the menu choose the resize picture option, it will let you choose between large, medium, small and custom sizes and then make a copy of your picture in that size, without affecting or altering your original file.

Anonymous said...

Hey Pauly,
it's nice to get these updates about your life in the Ukraine. It's surreal to me that you're living there for 2 years! I know you're homesick and that people are quitting but hang in there! this is the coolest opportunity of your life. I miss you and think of you often. Be safe.

Your determined friend said...

Hi. Glad to hear that you made it safely and are doing ok. I know that you will end up thinking this is the best thing you've ever done. By the way, I'm home all day. You could call me. I'm just hanging out with the podlings.