Saturday, April 14, 2007

More

I posted something this morning, but it's not showing up here. The internet here is really screwy. I just got back from doing some sightseeing with 3 clusters that were in town from small villages. There were about 20 people that came here and the first place they wanted to go was McDonald's. I think everyone is tired of Ukrainian cuisine at this point. It was so great to see them! Those of us that live here in Chernigiv feel so lucky that we live in a big city after hearing the stories these people told us of their peace corps experience so far. Apparently, this guy Adam who I met briefly at prolosok dropped out because he missed his girlfriend too much. Join the club, buddy. Another one bites the dust. It's almost as if I'm on survivo and someone gets voted off the island once/week.
I'm going to wait to see if anything shows up from my earler post before I retype it all, but some things I forgot to mention. Friday the 13th was insane. At 7am, I was in a bus accident. The trolley buses here run on suspended cables. Well, the cable came crashing down throught the ceiling of the bus and we went from going 40 mph to 0 mph instantly. We all went flying and we were covered in dust. A babooshka landed in my lap.
(side note: a babooshka is an old lady in Ukraine. They have been through so much in their lives that everyone respects them beyond belief and they rule the land. We need to always give seats up on buses for them and things of that nature. They are often seen on the streets selling various items.)
Nobody was seriously injured and the driver ran up the ladder and ran around getting us back on the road within 10 minutes.
In my language class, I had to deliver a 5 minute presentation in Russian. I ended up putting together a slide show of pictures taken on Easter and making up a fake story as the Holly Dolly song played in the background. It was a success as I had everyone rolling and my instructor was laughing so hard she was crying. Teri's presentation was about her daughter and she started to ball in the middle of it because she misses her so much. That in turn got everone choked up and we all needed a breather. It is comforting to know that everyone is missing home as much as I am.
I think I'm off to play some soccer here in a bit. Here's to another insane week!
I love you all!!!
and in case it didn't go through...
Happy Birthday, Karen!!!

No comments: