Monday, January 8, 2007

new package

I received a new package in the mail today. Inside was a map of Ukraine, a language sheet entitled "Your First Ukrainian Conversation" which lays out the basic Ukrainian words with pronunciations, mailing guidlines for me to share with my family and friends (which I will do before I leave), a CD-ROM which includes a virtual tour of Ukraine and a 30-day language lesson plan (I just keep wondering what if after I am done with all of these lesson plans, I end up in a Russian-speaking part of the country and have to start all over again? I also stress about getting alone time on a computer where I can practice the language which is a difficult thing to do at this point in my life). Finally, the package included a letter confirming my staging event which will take place in....................WASHINGTON DC!!!!! I really was hoping for that location so I could check out some sights. I assumed they would ship me to Chicago for staging since that is where the previous Ukraine groups ended up. It would have been nice to see Mar, Jessica, Julie and a few others, but I am really excited about spending a few days in DC. The second half of the letter stressed how from here on out I am officially a representative of the Peace Corps, the government and the United States and to act like an adult and be professional and presentable 24/7. The pressure is on.

No comments: