Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Falling Behind

So I spent tonight trying to catch up on the various discussion boards and chats that I missed out on. From what I gather, everyone seems super nice, we are all stressing about the same things, we are sharing the load as far as books, movies, and other luxiories so we can trade when we all get out there. The worst part is I am slacking in the department of language training. Some of the people currently out there say to not stress about it and just learn the alphabet and words like "bathroom", "hello" and (get this) "beer". The rest will be drilled into us at training. One guy is spending 2 hours/day learning Ukrainian and one lady is taking a Russian class to be somewhat fluent in both languages. What am I doing?? don't ask.
One guy who is serving his 3rd term with us gave us a list of things to bring...check it out...

A queen size top bed sheet
A role of duct tape
A swiss type knife
A camping coffee perculator or french press
A short wave radio
Rechargable batteries to fit cameras
A meg lite type flash light
A roocksack
A insulated drinking container
Something that reminds you of home a personal item that reflects youthat can just remind you of home.
The card game UNO
Kites or a hobby that you have
A flask for that vodka you will be drinking
A photo album of you and your family and the family home
Addresses of family and friends both on paper and email addresses
Pens and Pencils bic are best.
A set of needles and thread different sizes.
A pair of work gloves or hand gloves or mittons
Vegetable seeds tomatos, onions, cukes maybe you can plant them orgive them to people in your community. Light to pack but packs apunch a bunch of food.
A shower towel. Don't expect that at our arrival we will be providedwith towels. Bring at least one and a hand towel.
Do not worry about books PC has a library has many books both fortechnical and paper backs.

How much of this do I have??? don't ask. I wish I had this list before Santa came over.

I did use my Barnes and Noble gift cards this weekend. I bought a book on Europe which includes hostel information, train and bus info, and everything you need to know about every country. While out there I wanted to visit Dracula's castle in Romania, the Greek ruins and beaches, Rome & Venice, Germany (the motherland) and Amsterdam. How much will I most likely get to see based on my current financial situation??? don't ask.
I also bought a couple paperbacks (The DaVinci Code and The Devil and the White City) both of which I have been wanting to read, but couldn't find the time. I picked up a study bible and a book on U.S. History to try to educate myself and become more spititual while out there as well.

Sometime this week I will try to post information about the people that are going with me as well as mailing information.

No comments: