Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Season Finale

For numerous reasons I am taking a blogging hiatus. I will be back for the occasional post (i.e. when I have some big news).
Last weekend I went to a town called Nova Kahovka. I met up with 3 volunteers from that area that are from goup 31 (the one before mine). We had lunch at a nice Italian restaurant which got invaded by stray cats. We went home and made S'mores. Amy got a package from home whicha included graham crackers and marshmallows neither of which can we find here. I never really ate smores, but they were amazing! We also bought a watermelon. Since I've heard watermelons are the best thing about Kherson I was curious. However, it wasn't all that great and I learned that they don't get really good until September. We had many beers and played some games. I went to this guy Cody's flat to sleep which was in a nearby village called Byroslav. The guy has an incedibale DVD collection (by volunteer standards) so I gave him some money to copy a bunch of stuff for me. He had an external DVD burner, but it took a lot of time, but I got all seasons of Futurama, 1 season of The Simpsons, Da Ali G Show, Wedding Crashers, Stranger Than Fiction, Pi, and a few others. He also burned a ton of great music for me as he is really into the indy rock scene and turned me onto some new bands. My only complaint about the guy is his hatred for Dave Matthews and Pearl Jam. Oh well, not everyone can have perfect taste in music ;) The next morning we woke up and watched "Borat" and I finally took the bus back to Kherson Sunday evening.
Things are still awkward at the library...in fact, they get worse everyday. My counterpart has said about 10 words total to me over the last week. I emailed my regonal manager yesterday to tell him to help me escape. They are also dragging their feet on finding a flat for me. I hear they may have something for me to look at today, but it is near my host mother Tanya 45 minutes from work. So there ya have it....the season cliff-hanger. Enjoy the rest of summer and

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DAVE! (I miss the hell outta you, Bro!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

paul, i got your secret message. :) It's very clever but it makes me sad. :(

Pauly V. said...

Blasted! I don't know what you are talking about ;)
I must make a more challenging one now.
- The von Rohr Code