Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The Eagle Has Landed....again

My staging packet arrived in the mail yesterday and I do believe this is the last mailing I will receive before I leave (unless they mail me my plane ticket to Philadelphia). The package is a lot bigger than I expected and I haven't had a chance to sort through all of it; priorities...I'm watching The Two Towers in 65" surround sound glory. Inside this lovely staging kit is instructions for booking my flight, a handbook for the families of volunteers, another CD-ROM which I have no idea as to what's on it, a bunch of forms I need to fill out and bring with me to Philly, baggage and packing advisories, and information on a Correspondence Match Program where once I'm situated in Ukraine, I can correspond with a U.S. classroom and teach them about my exxxxcelllent adventure. Once I go through all of this, I will give more detail if I find anything exciting to share. The good thing is since I received all of this, my passport and Visa must be good to go and ready for me to pick up in Philly as well.
Like I said, I have been busy taking advantage of the big screen tv while my parents are in Chicago and catching up on some of my favorite movies so I haven't gotten to the internet posts. It looks like there is a lot of good advice and questions in them though and I plan on tackling them in the next few days. I did, however, spend the day at work learning my first batch of Ukrainian words. It's a good thing my job is so brainless that I can take advantage of the time and practice up. This is really going to help me find time to study. At any rate, these words and phrases are what I learned today (I plan on only learning the essentials before I leave)...
Yes/No
Please
Thank You
Thank You Very Much
Excuse Me
What Is Your Name?
My Name Is...
There/Here
Brother
Sister
Mother
Father
What Is This?
Bathroom (a definite essential!)
Water
Juice
Milk
Coffee

Not bad for a day's work. On top of that, I greeted my co-workers with a little "Good Night" in Ukrainian as I left work. I think they thought I was nuts, but they know I have been studying during work time and they are supportive.

Well, I gotta finish the Lord of the Rings trilogy tonight and order a pizza (lovin' the bachelor life right now!). Things are finally starting to come together and I am growing very anxious and excited!

No comments: